Monday, June 29, 2009

Pioneer Trek!

Twenty four years ago next month when I was fifteen years old I was able to experience a Pioneer Trek with my Stake in Colorado.
I remember loving the entire experience! The trekking, the lack of food, killing the turkey that we ate for dinner, our solo time, and the testimony meeting. I have often talked about this Trek with my family and husband. When our Stake decided to invite all the youth 12 and up for our Trek I was thrilled for Morgan! Since she was still busy with school she didn't get that excited for Trek! But when she got her dress from grandma (Thanks Margene for making it!) she couldn't wait to wear it!
Last Wednesday morning all the youth in our Stake were dropped off at the church. There we 400 kids all dressed like pioneers!The next day Jon and I were asked to come to the Trek and help with the Hoe Down! We were both very excited. I was anxious to see Morgan and talk to her about her experience. After a three hour drive we arrived at the site. We saw lots of tents, handcarts, and hundreds of tired pioneers! Day two was a HARD day of trekking. Everyone I spoke to told us that. When we finally found Morgan she was also tired and dirty. I was a little nervous about how the kids would respond to a Hoe Down considering that they were exhausted! Not everyone participated but many of the kids had a great time doing some fun line dances!
Even I had a great time dancing with all those young kids!
I was glad that I was able to experience a small portion of Trek with Morgan! Here we are with all the Jackson Pioneers!Morgan came home on Saturday and could not stop talking about her experience. At church yesterday she said that many of the beehives including herself want to go on another Trek! She loved it! I'm so grateful to those who spent countless hours to make this such a wonderful experience for our Youth! It was a HUGE success!

4 comments:

jalynn said...

That is so cool! I'm glad it was a good experience for her.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, you don't look all that much older now than when you went on your trek! And I'm glad that Morgan toughed it out after listening to the stories of some of the girls who couldn't take and went home. I love her spunk and determination.
Grandma B

The Frosts said...

I love these pictures! Looks like such a fun time. I esp. love the one of you dancing!

The Shep's Herd said...

I just love trek. Your pictures are pricless. Kammy was able to go when she was 12. She still watches the trek movie and talks about it constantly. It is such a great experiance. I'm so glad Morgn had a great tiem and you got to be part of it too.