Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birthday Bummer!
For months Madelyn has been counting down the days until her birthday! She was so excited because her cousins were going to be in town and she was going to be able to have a party with them. Well the evening before her birthday she fell asleep on the couch for about 30 minutes. When she woke up one side of her face was a little swollen. We welcomed our cousins late that evening and by then it had progressively gotten worse! She woke up a few times during the night and by morning it was even more swollen. Maddie was not that excited for her birthday and didn't eat much of anything at breakfast! Here's a picture of her at breakfast. We decided to call the Doctor and take her in to be examined. Her Doctor determined that it was some kind of skin infection. We thought that it might be an insect bite that she was having an allergic reaction to, but never saw any type of marks on the skin. Her day was pretty miserable. She didn't really want to do much, she took a three hour nap, she had to go to the Doctor on her bday, and she had to take "icky" medicine. The doctor said that it could get a little bit wore before it gets better, and by the evening this is what it looked like.

I felt so bad for her because she looked awful!!! I had to tell the kids' to quit starring at her and making comments about her face because she was becoming sad! We still had her birthday party with the cousins and my in-laws. She didn't have that much fun at her own party because she was uncomfortable! Everyone else enjoyed dinner, the ice cream sundaes, swimming in the pool, and the party bags!
She was a trooper and tried to have a good time. I think her favorite part of the whole day was when Brooklyn gave her, her gift. Brooklyn was so excited because she bought it all with her OWN money. (Gotta love the $1 spot at Target!)


Before the evening was over Jon and his dad gave Maddie a blessing that she would be healed! I am so blessed to have the priesthood in our home and grateful that my husband is a worthy priesthood holder. Maddie got better fast and just two days later she looked SOOOOO much better! (Sorry about the tongue, she was showing me her ice cream from Top Burger!)Even though it was a Bummer Birthday, we'll never forget her eventful FIFTH Birthday!

7 comments:

Tamara said...

So sorry Maddie had a sad birthday, but glad to see she's feeling so much better. Isn't it weird how kids get the strangest illnesses? And I miss Top Burger.

The Morgans said...

That is sad, Maybe one day she could have a surprise unbirthday :) I am dying I can not believe that she is 5 years old.I agree with Tamara. Kids get these weird illness and we wonder what we could have done to prevent it. Maddie is so sweet.

jalynn said...

poor maddie! that stinks when kids don't feel good, but especially on their birthday. Looks like you guys had a fun party though. I hope Kindergarten goes good for her!

Steph said...

Oh, sad! I had no idea, she was sick on her bday. Of course, I was having my own issues at the time...
She was very proud to tell Shaylee that she turned five while Shay was in Utah.

Dannielle said...

I didn't even know that could happen...glad she is better.

cjdustin said...

So sorry Maddie was "infected". I'm glad she's all better now and can enjoy being one year older and wiser too!

Carrie said...

Poor thing!!! I hope it never happens again since it is such a mystery.