Thursday, December 03, 2009

Stockings, Trees, & Banners Oh My!

About a month ago I saw an idea on a blog to make stockings out of old sweaters. They were so cute that I got a brilliant idea of making stockings for the family! I didn't have as many old sweaters as I initially thought so I quickly went to Goodwill and Spanky's (consignment store). I was so excited at what I found at such great deals! I copied a target stocking I saw and went to town sewing sweaters. I don't like to sew AT ALL but I figured I could manage a straight stitch! I then hit JoAnns for all my embelishments, trim, jingle bells, and lace! This is what my craft room/den looked like for much of the month, A MESS!
But I just loved how they all turned out except for one that I'm still working on! The girls' even fought over who would get certain socks! I told them that I decide and that these stockings for this year are only for decoration! The green and red sweater was an old sweater of mine that I've had for years from Old Navy. Jon couldn't believe that I was cutting it up! I told him that it shrunk in the wash. I like it SO much better as a stocking! The green stripped one was the first one I made and I think it is definitely one of my favs! The polka dot stocking used to be a darling sweater dress of Maddie's. Any of my gymboree friends recognize that line? Well the dress got a hole in it so hey look what a cute stocking it made! This one is definitely Madelyn's. She has let us all know that! Since I had this whole funky stocking/color scheme going on I started looking for some new ornaments! I was surprised to find out that many stores had several ornaments in these colors! This tree is going to be a work in progress. I did find some glitter words at the target dollar spot and many fun glitter balls! The kids had fun decorating it tonight and Morgan is just thrilled that "her dream has come true!" They get to have a tree in the Bonus room. She is so excited to have everyone sleep by the tree on Christmas Eve!
My last project for this season was a Christmas Banner! I got together with my friend Amy the past two days to create our banners together. Amy is a crafting genius! We had fun together and turned my kitchen table into a craft store. We had glue, paper, ribbon, crate paper, zots, glue guns, fiber, and LOTS of GLITTER! Amy loves glitter and has quite a selection!
After two days of this craziness I just finished this banner and hung it above my kitchen table. It is big so I had to take three pictures. It says "Twas the Night"

I think I've had my craft fix for at least a couple weeks! Tomorrow is going to be cleaning day but now I'm off to bed!!!

6 comments:

jalynn said...

such great ideas! It all looks so fun...

cjdustin said...

Looks like lots of fun and work!

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

The stockings turned out really cute! And, yes I do recognize that dress from the cupcake line!

Stacey said...

I saw Amy's banner and LOVED it! Yours is just as cute. Totally different and unique to you. That is what makes crafting so fun. Looks like a lot of work! Remember when I first met you and we made those candles. Mason was still in an infant carrier!

The Frosts said...

Loooooooove your stockings! How cute are those? Your banner is adorable too. Do you want to whip one of those up for me? You could do it as payback for all the slaving I did over your Christmas card (just kidding!)